Storage spaces can be vital in homes. Have you ever heard someone complain, “I just have too many wardrobes?” I haven’t. So let’s think outside the “box” and create more storage space using the space already in your home.
Here are several tried and true, easy tips to create more storage space:
#1. Toss stuff you no longer need through decluttering
The easiest way to maximize your storage space is to learn how to declutter. Clutter drains energy and costs time and money. Regularly decluttering is a key step in maximising storage spaces. Pick a day and dedicate it to setting aside all potential donations or things that simply belong in the trash.
#2. Use the best storage solutions (at low costs)
I’m sure you’ve seen some truly baffling storage solutions “As Seen on TV,” but some storage solutions really do work. A good storage solution accomplishes the following:
- It helps create more space
- It streamlines your organization by grouping like items together
- It makes thing easier to find by creating a proper “home”
#3. Start using plastic storage containers
This one is really a no-brainer. Clear plastic will allow you to see inside the container more easily saving you precious time when quickly trying to retrieve an item from storage.
- Don’t forget to label these containers! Even though they are see-through, it will speed up item retrieval in the future.
#4. Maximise use of prime real estate
This may be defined as the space in between your knees and your shoulders. In other words, the easiest places to reach. Out of sight out of mind, so keep your most frequently used items in your prime real estate area.
- Think about what you reach for most often. Those go in your prime real estate storage spaces.
- Remember, “Out of sight, out of mind,” so if you want something to remain part of your life, store it where you see it often.
#5. Think vertically
Although most people think in terms of left to right, you should not discount that space above your head and at your feet. These are great places to store out-of-season, holiday, or little-used and worn items.
- Invest in a sturdy step ladder to allow you to reach this area.
- Don’t store anything too heavy up above–meaning no boxes full of books or large appliances
- Don’t store anything you use regularly above your eye-line. Remember: Out of sight equals out of mind and it’s best to keep things handy.
#6. Choose the right products
Triple measure your storage spaces before buying bins, shelves or sideboards. There’s nothing more frustrating than getting home and having to shove a container into a closet to make it fit. Storage products should work for you, not the other way around. Plan ahead.
- Make and carry a note card with the measurements of your closets in your purse/wallet when you’re out furniture shopping.
- Once again, try to use products that nest together. They will stack more easily.
- Make sure they are clear and labeled.